Wednesday, February 04, 2009

American Artists 1942


This is the first post in an occasional series where I will post images and statements from individual artist from this 1942 MOMA show catalog.  The image below is one of my favorites, he looks like such a classic movie star, and such a great name.


"I'm striving for that beauty of which Plato speaks "not beautiful relatively, like other things, but always and naturally and absolutely." I shall, of course, never know if I attain this, but perhaps what Lawrence say is true: "The value of a picture lies in the esthetic emotion it brings, exactly as if it were a flower. Pictures are strange things, most of them die as sure as flowers die."
I pray I may succeed in enriching life, be it even for a few, and give a moment's pleasure. I shall not have worked n vain but have been amply rewarded. "