Sunday, March 03, 2013

Mechanical Turk Review of My Art #48


This is a project where I pay workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk to review my art and website and pay them $5 for 500 words. This is the 48th review I've received.

When I first thought of reviewing an art website, I imagined it would be a boring task. I expected to see a website filled with paintings that were priced too high and a needy sales pitch. I was pleasantly surprised when I viewed Paul Shortt's website. It was visually appealing and had different content such as videos, pictures and hilarious commentary. At first I was a little confused as to where the paintings were. When I was clicking on the links, I realized this was a much more developed art website. I truly laughed when I was looking over the "How to be Narcissistic" project. It was a project which I'm sure made the artists think about their good qualities but to the viewer it was hilarious. The artists drew self portraits and wrote things like "nice rack" on their best qualities list. There were badges with narcisstic qualities like "I use other people for my own personal gain." I loved that, it was a humorous play on personality flaws that we all have but almost never admit. The work seems lighthearted and fun to me. I enjoyed the website because of the randomness of projects. I feel I will visit this website in the future just to see the new projects and commentary. It feels to me like Paul Shortt's work is an example of how art and beauty can be found anywhere, from people on the street to a hilarious sign on a stairwell. I felt uplifted after viewing his website. It was fun, new and went far beyond my expectations. I liked the commentary and projects that were unexpected and clever. I liked how there were videos included in the different projects. They were high quality and ran smoothly. I was half way expecting it to freeze my crappy, college student budget computer, but it didn't. I liked the mix of humor and seriousness in the projects as well. I loved the carpet that said "Roll on the Floor Laughing" it was a true example of the unexpected and untraditional art pieces that Paul Shortt creates. The art work is different and stands out from the rest of the crowd. When someone says they are an artist, I usually think of random colors and lines that make no sense to me. The kind of art found on eBay that seems like it took a half hour to make and is being sold for hundreds or thousands. His art is different, a play on the random and humorous art we experience day to day in life. Overall my impressions of Paul Shortt's website are positive. I enjoy the sense of humor he expresses in his artwork and art projects. The quality of his work are eminent and profound. I thoroughly enjoyed the content on his website and plan to visit it again in the future. I was never a big art fan, but the artwork here is different and appealing, more-so then his peers in the art industry.