Saturday, July 14, 2007

County Sales




If you’re interested in Old-time and Bluegrass music the best source I’ve found is County Sales in Floyd, Virginia. Started in 1965 it houses the largest selection of Old-time and bluegrass music in the country. A friend in Blacksburg told me about this record store and having lived in Floyd for ten years I had never even noticed it. Though it is down in alley and in a basement. Mike Gangloff of Pelt, Mikel Dimmick Spiral Joy band, and the Black Twigg pickers recommended these titles to me below and I loved them.

Edden Hammons The Edden Hammons Collection Volume One from West Virginia University

Tommy Jarrell "Sail Away Laidies" from County Records

High Atmosphere Recording from Virginia and North Carlina recorded by Jem Cohen in 1965

For more info go to www.countysales.com and for info Mike Gangloff go to http://Klang.org