Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summer Teaching Afterthoughts

The past few weeks I got an opportunity to teach Beginning Drawing and Cartooning for Kids in two groups of ten 6-8 year olds. My first few days were shaky but by the end of the third day of teaching I was sold, and before I knew it the class was over. I had a week off between that before I taught cartooning. The cartooning class was older then my drawing class and seemed to stay busier and stay quieter. My classes went well though I feel like I didn’t teach them enough basic principles. I thought the work both classes did was creative and great and that the kids helped me be more creative and inventive. I enjoyed the one-on-one conversations with them about their drawings and cartoons more then I did actually standing in front of a chalkboard.

I haven’t got my class evaluations so I don’t know how well I did, but I’m working on an outline for a cartooning and storytelling class for the spring. Below I've posted some of the group drawings from my begining drawing class.