Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mechanical Turk Review of My Art #13

This is a project where I pay workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk to review my art and website and pay them $5 dollars for 500 words. This is the 13th review I've received:

I have to admit that every time I get a chance to see the work of a new up-and-coming artist or aspiring visionary, a sense of excitement and anticipation takes over and lets me stranded somewhere between hope and despair. Why? Because, I've seen so many wonderkids that could have reached the top but alas, an almost even amount that just blew their chance and eventually moved on to something else. When I came across Paul Shortt or P. S. as he proclaimed himself, I got a bit of both: the moment you land on his name-bearing page, you get a sample of what he' s all about. 

I loved the 'still of form' video, that portrays a man being denied access to a car. A video is bound to be added, which I eagerly await to see if it will only enhance the plot portrayed by the picture or spoil the whole thing together. I say this because his work reeks all over of these two elements. As in the first picture, you see a man attempting to enter a car, we can only imagine in order to do something, to 'get places', thus we get the resounding light motive of hope, only for him to be denied that, giving you a sense of desperation. Next, a very slick named exhibit, the 'Please do not climb' one, only contributes to this pattern. You see a man aspiring to climb over steps, those of adversity, painted in white all over, that is solicited to cease. 

One of my favorites, less expressive in appearance but full of meaning in essence, is the 'Certificates' section, that just represents a kind of gateway to the artists soul, if you' ll excuse the big words. Here, he provides a subtle take on his work all together, what he basically says is that he doesn't take himself seriously and before you jump the proverbial boat, hear me out. You might think that' s a bad thing but it' s not, you see so many artists being pretentious and overly complex, that as a viewer you really can' t relate to any of their work and can' t come to appreciate what might actually be very good. What P. S. offers is this, the chance for you, the viewer to take him seriously and I cant’s speak for others, but I did. It' s a kind of trick, or if you believe in magic, it' s what makes the difference between something ordinary and something great, you can' t teach it or learn it, you either have it or you don' t. That vibe you instill in others, to be a part of what you did. P. S. manages that and, in my book, that' s the promise of greatness. If he will fulfill his potential or not, is up to him. But from where I' m sitting, it just can' t look any brighter for him and especially his art. Looking forward to see his story unfold.