Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mechanical Turk Review of My Art #14

This is a project where I pay workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk to review my art and website and pay them $5 dollars for 500 words. This is the 14th review I've received:


Ah, to write about Paul Shortt and his eclecticism style art. Here is what I did in preparing for this assignment. I first viewed Paul’s Blog, including his funny video, or was it serious? Then I scrolled through much of his collection of art, comfortably nestled in cyber art space at PaulShortt.com. Next, I went to Wikipedia and found the official definition of eclecticism. So it turns out that eclecticism is conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases. Well, that according to the Wiki. But it describes well what I find on Paul’s site. Funky, quirky and down-right cool in scope and intention. Now with my cup of Yogi Kava Tea, and again back at the Mac, I’m once again toying with the different art work at the site and feel compelled to comment, as I sit and ponder on this unseasonably warm Seattle evening. So what is it about Paul’s art? Left Brain? Right brain? Who knows, but pretty cool stuff, left or right. As Sinatra once said, “Flying to high in the sky, is my idea of nothing to do…” 


First the early work, this is the stuff that makes me bubble. I really enjoy it and like it when someone, an artist, or anyone for that matter, causes “people” who are in a social coma, or self induced form of a kind of hypnotic state, to stop and ponder their own existence. How about the “Mechanically Move Your Body Up The Stairs Like A Machine?” Exactly, very cool, I like it Paul. I liked the “God Save Shortt,” portrait and could not help but think right away of “Bueller,” Ferris Bueller that is, “Save Ferris.” Very cool stuff. In fact, we can all learn a lot from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” if reflects the same ideas as “Paul Shortt’s Day Off.” Shortt, Shortt, anyone? Anyone? Anyone? This idea that we are more than the social cog in the wheel that public school and the daily grind of work has made so many of us into. I did the corporate thing for 22 years, now I grow my hair and drink tea. Very cool, huh. 


“Resist” is a rather favorite of mine, in the shortt, I mean short time I’ve been an official visitor at PaulShortt.com. It sums it all up, yes? Especially the last line, “Never follow Directions.” Has anyone ever read Thoreau? Also, Modern Greetings looks fun, and offers the same witty twist on accepted convention. What is this handshake thing anyway, and who started it? Maybe we could all just do the knuckle bump? “Nimby’s” is clever art. Seeking Good conversation is interesting. Missed Connections is creative. Keep up the innovative and creative work, Paul. Hey, if you don’t, who will? If I could sum up all the work at PaulShortt.com, it would be to “Never Follow Rules.” Peace, my friend from sunny and warm Seattle.