Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mechanical Turk Review of My Artist Website #22





This is a project where I pay workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk to review my art and website and pay them $5 dollars for 500 words. This is the 22nd review I've received:

I am not an artist. I appreciate art that is interesting, attractive or thought provoking. I think that Paul Shortt’s site is filled with images that are at least one or two of these. I enjoyed perusing them. It was entertaining to try to see what the point of the photograph was or why the photo was taken. It was thought provoking and made me want to look at everything on the page. The way that the artist shares himself with his likeness and personal insights into his personality make the work all that much more compelling. I also enjoyed that there were other contributors to the artwork. It is interesting to try to find the connections between the captions and the photos, seeing what the photographer had in mind when taking or displaying the picture. Some of the ones I found most interesting are the pictures in staged series photos like Calvin Ball. It was fun to see how the game evolved, the expressions on the faces of the subjects and how the game effected the players. Another I found unique and engaging was How to Be Narcissistic which I enjoyed. It showed everyday people finding humor and truth by awarding themselves for their attributes. It was fun to see the expressions on their faces while they were displaying their awards. This was an unclose and personal collection that was entertaining to examine. I also thought that Missed Connections was appealing and sad at the same time. Portraits of Me By Others was out of the ordinary because many other people contributed to the artwork. It was fascinating to see how others interpreted the same face, the color choices they made and what details obviously stuck out to them. I liked that there were drawings, passages, computer images and even a sculpture. Different mediums make exhibits come alive. I found Paul Shortt Shocks Chicago to be very amusing. Each of these different installments brings something personal and insightful to the collection of photographs. This site isn’t what I typically think of when I think of art. Art brings to my mind images from galleries and museums like the Louvre and Metropolitan Museum of Art. It doesn’t have to be and this artist shows that. Art can be as simple as paint splashed on a canvas or as involved as the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. That is the beauty of art, it’s capacity to be simply entertaining. Sometimes this escapes people and this is one of the intriguing things about these works. They show that simple expressions, situations and projects can be made into art. I feel that the artwork on this site will make people interested. It compels one to continue exploring. The artist captures different objects, people and situations in a humorous or fascinating way. Art is subjective in that it can be anything and about anything. This series of works shows that an artist can make art out of everyday occurrences and make them into something people want to see.